sreda, 15. oktober 2014

Tetterode Amsterdam - Metelkova city Ljubljana

We visited an occupied house few weeks ago, where one of our schoolmates lives. At first I didn’t really know what to expect, because I wasn’t familiar with the concept of squatters and occupied buildings, but now after this great trip true the whole building with our own tour guide, I am much more educated about it. 

When I was on my way back home for a weekend, I was reading a flight magazine during the flight, and there was an article about a very known area in the capital of Slovenia, where a lot of art, music, culture and theater shows are shown. It is called Metelkova mesto(city). I actually didn’t know this is an occupied place, until I read the article. I’ve been there already and it is very artistic, maybe already a bit weird for no-artist people. It is designed in the other way then Tetterode in Amsterdam. There are no people living, like in Tetterode. And it is much smaller, it doesn’t have any real shops, factories or offices. It is more dedicated to artists, who have their studios there. Metelkova is also very popular with young people who belong to different alternative subcultures like punk, rave, metal, hip hop, hippie… It is also known as a place where a lot of people are using drugs, such as young people who are going on a party and having predrinks there and regular drug users. I was there only a few times when I was in my first year of high school, and since then I only walked pass it. I was never a really big fan of it, but if you see it in daytime first, I think it is much more interesting. It has a different concept then Tetterode in Amsterdam, but it is still very useful for different kinds of artists and other culture activities.


Metelkova city
I was very fascinated by Tetterode, because I really didn’t imagine this house to be so multifunctional. It has many apartments, art studios, metal factory, small shoe factory, night club, social work office  and everything in one building. One of my schoolmates lives there, so we also had a chance to see one of the apartments from the inside and it was great. Rent is very low for Amsterdam, but they also have some down sides because of it, such as bad isolation – as the person who also lives there told us. People in the building feel like they are one big family, because they all know each other and most of them live there for many years already. Some of them are there since the beginning. There are more places like Tetterode in Amsterdam, and I am glad we had a chance to visit this one, because now I know better what the concept of squatted house is and how life is taking place there. 








Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar